Friday, July 8, 2011

The hunter gatherer in all of us

So I haven't posted in like 2 years. oh well.

I have been thinking about this blog for a while now and I think Ive come to an understanding about us humans. My cousin (and a few of my family members) are hunters. They like to shoot things and have the heads of the things they shoot mounted on their walls. It's scary when you see it and also when you come to the realization that well, he likes killing things so much that he puts trophies of it in his bed room walls... so yes it bothers me and I have been trying to understand it for a long time.
Ok so here is the realization. in the last 2 years of non posting, I have started to have a deep, strong, need to plant things- food things, to eat. Maybe it's because I'm a mom now or that now I have felt the need to set down some roots - sorta speak-. But I dont think that's it. It didn't really start until I began to garden and started reaping the benefits that I really felt the severity of the need to do it. It's like a little bit of a drug that I didn't even know I was addicted to. And now I NEED to do it. I think about it all the time and I really like books about gardening/farming/animal husbandry etc.above everything else.Like an addict would do. And it's not just me, I mean two books I have read lately are about women who have careers and when they start to farm they can't stop and write about how they believe it's ingrained in us somehow as having been farmers for they bulk of human history. I think I understand their point because I have started to feel that too.
I thought that having a problem with my cousin (and others) who hunt for sport was a different matter altogether but now I'm not so sure.
And now there is the realization- Humans were not just farmers, they were hunters as well- some were hunters I must say. And if you analyze my cousin's actions, it's actually a much easier pill to swallow on every level then raising food animals to kill them.
My cousin went to Africa last year- one of these huge game parks that have all kinds of large animals that you have free range and had all of his spoils taxidermied and mounted. Horrified, I asked him about all the wrong that that was about, to try to put him in his place. But instead when I said- "you wasted all that body of meat, in a country that wasn't yours for a head" he said that actually, he fed a lot of villagers with what he shot, and it was all free range, organic, healthy meat.He did them a big favor. I can understand that having lived in one of those starving villages myself. They even helped cut it up and distribute it as soon as it was done.Making the politics of having the game and the park a beneficial one to both the humans that live there and near it. Also instead of letting the people go and wipe out the whole of the animals on the land, by deforestation or over hunting, by having this big reserve it's regulated, it's private and animals actually thrive there even with the hunters. When I said " yes but those were animals in an ecosystem that depended on them" he said, actually, the guide that took him out (and they had to go with a guide) instructed him on the animal to shoot at, that the animal was always the elderly male who was out of his prime, that had no more breeding in him- (just happened to be the big one of the group) but that he never went for a mother or youth.
So after a while I just listened instead of trying right him, because I think I get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi і am kavin, its my first time to cοmmenting аnywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i could аlѕo сreаtе сomment due to this
sensible post.

Stop by my wеbpage ... lloyd irvin

Anonymous said...

I knoω thіs if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming hаving a blog
like yourѕ would cost a pretty ρenny?
Ι'm not very web smart so I'm nοt 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Stop by my web blog shullo.com