Monday, April 9, 2007

From Sea to Shining Sea

As for my beloved country, I can't say that anywhere can compare to Tucson, Arizona. Alex and I went hiking last Friday. I had the beautiful day off of work and Alex, because he is awesome, took the day off to spend with me. BIG kudos to him.
One thing Alex likes to do, God Bless him, is to take the road less traveled and Friday was no different. The trip started out by taking Alex's new car up to Mt Lemmon , parking at the Prison camp and walking on the Arizona trail. Here is a picture of my lovely city in the desert from on top of the mountain...and starting our hike...
after about an hour or two, Alex decided that we should go off the trail because the trail we were on was too widely used and he knew of a prettier place. Now, believe it or not, I have done a lot of crazy things against other peoples better judgment, but when Alex started treading through the bushes I remembered when I first met him and he went on a 3 day "soul cleansing" hike in the same area. He was alone with a no good map, and all he brought with him was a water filter and some cheese. He got lost, cut up and had to re trace his steps 3 times before calling me and saying, "...Don't get worried, but I'm lost, I see bear tracks and dung all over and I might need you to call the helicopter." Well, needless to say, when Alex said he knew a better way, I thought better of it but because I had pretty good bearings on where we were and I had brought my gators just in case of this exact moment, put them on and told him I would follow. And low and behold I will never second guess that guy again. What we saw was the most amazing piece of canyon! Actually the part we saw was right above seven falls in Bear canyon.
Dear Alex, I will follow you anywhere. Heart.

No comments: