Monday, April 2, 2007

Hoffmann Roast

So I have been told that my blog is "political" and "not republican" and a british friend of mine asked me to clerify that I really did like America. So I am going to not just write about things in America that I think are "absurd" but also my life. (which still fits the theme since I am an american and things I do are still what life is like in America, and which also fits my friend Ben's theme of selfishness).
So today, not fitting with either of those themes, I want to introduce you to my friends Scott and Julie Hoffmann who are selfless, model Americans to be sure.
There are 2 reasons I want to exploit them, one because Scott (-Dufus affectionatly) sent me pictures of his recent climbing trip to Robbers Roost, UT and the pictures made me so jelous I can hardly stand it, and the second reason is this week is Julie's 30th Birthday and what a good way to celebrate, to have little roost of my own. (I know it's roast, scotty, but you didn't go to Robbers Roast did you?)

I met Scott and Julie in Africa-well actually in a small room in Washington DC on the way to Africa: they were in the Peace Corps with me.
When I think of those early days in Ghana, I remember them like this.- Scott and Julie after Scott had shaved his head for the first time...





cute couple huh?
and they just got cuter as time went on... actually Scott's hair didn't get any cuterthough... here is Scott with his hair buddies Rob and Ben. They took a bet to see how long their hair can grow, but no one knew it was just Julie's slyness that got Mel to make that bet because she didn't like the bald thing. Although, Julie, I'm sorry to say, this wasn't much better.





Here's the cute couple, voted prom king and queen. And yes Scott is not wearing a shirt. Surprised?

I have a favorite picture of Scott and Julie, and this I am proud to say could have been the hardest I have ever laughed in my whole life. And for those of you who know i like to laugh, you can imagine.

What are they doing you might ask? Why is Julie holding a LARGE bottle of beer under her boob? Well just be glad I was laughing too hard to get out my camera and take the picture so you could see why Scott is sitting in a puddle of that beer. And why is Scott in tiny speedos? Well my friends, to this day I STILL have no idea, but scotty does like to drink beer.

Julie also likes to drink beer. This shot is of julie playing a great game we learned called Baghead. I can't really remember the rules, only that if you become the baghead you have to wear a bag on your head and drink your beer through a nasty hole in the bag while others in the game throw bottle caps at you and laugh. Sweet game huh? (notice the bottle cap that has just hit Julie's bag while she was sticking her tougue out of the nasty lil' hole...)


All these pictures are agreed not very good quality, but hopefully Scott and Julie can remember the great times we had andhopefully many more to go.

Love you guys, happy birthday julie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AH! So much fun! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

And happy, happy birthday Julie.

Unknown said...

Hey Babe! Sorry about the folks calling you un-Americun. Its quite possible they didn't notice the oil that got poured in their Cheerios this morning. Remember the good old days when you had to pay attention to piss yourself off? Now its "Every hour, on the hour."
Sometimes its quite natural to shomit in frustration. In your other hand, in many countries you can't just make up a word whenever you feel like it. Where would Neil be then? Perhaps there would be no way to describe the sensation of seeing a Jordanesk petrified human preparing to slam dunk his internal organs in a publicly funded science center?
After W's speech this morning, (I feel for you, because I know you continued to listen to the rest of it after you dropped me off) I wondered if I wasn't being to hard on the poor guy... where is the recognition for the positive work he has done? What an example for slow kids all over!
I don't have the energy to do this topic justice, but it seems to fit in your theme: How about all the expired food tucked away in our cupboard? I'm eating breakfast and my breadsticks are best before new years, the energy bar before last may, and the banana... Hey I'm still allowed some luxuries -- its only threat level ORANGE.

BIG HUGS!

Chickytava said...

Hey ANNA... I meant to send you a comment before to say welcome to the blog world! I'm excited to see how your blog takes shape (political or not!)!!!